CERF+ is seeking a well-rounded energetic and experienced professional to join our growing team to advance CERF+’s mission by building and sustaining support and increasing awareness of and engagement with CERF+’s work. Reporting to the Executive Director and working in partnership with the Board of Directors and the CERF+ staff, the Director of Development and Communications has primary responsibility for a range of institutional advancement functions to increase funding from private and public sources and effectively demonstrate the impact of CERF+’s work through a variety of communication mechanisms and platforms.
- Work with the Executive Director to set the vision and strategy to realize and exceed the annual development goals through individual gifts, foundation, corporation, government grants, sponsorship as well as other earned income and special events.
- Set development goals that increase giving (numbers of donors and size of gifts) and donor retention.
- Develop a culture of philanthropy through the mentorship and training of staff, the Board and volunteers.
- Oversee the maintenance, cultivation and management of key relationships (corporate, foundation, individuals) for the Board and Executive Director, and identify and research new prospects as potential supporters of CERF+.
- Participate in Board meetings as needed, interact with Board members and serve as staff liaison to the CERF+ Fundraising Committee. Assist the Fundraising Committee in defining assignments and accountabilities for each Board member.
- Broaden and develop robust annual fund, major donor and planned giving programs as well as special campaigns.
- Coordinate, plan, oversee and evaluate CERF+’s special events and special events for CERF+.
- Implement and expand existing online related fundraising activities such as crowdfunding and text-based fundraising.
- Oversee development operations, ensuring timely and efficient implementation of annual campaigns and donor acknowledgement.
- Work with the Deputy Director to assure sound fiscal operation of development functions, including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation. Evaluate cost effectiveness and productivity of fundraising strategies and initiatives.
- Develop and monitor grants calendar to ensure that all deadlines are met; research appropriate grant opportunities, prepare letters of inquiry, grant proposals, other funding requests as well as all funding related reporting.
- Oversee management of Salesforce CRM, data entry, list management and reporting to integrate interest in CERF+’s programs with development priorities.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors, and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives.
- Implement a comprehensive promotional plan which strengthens CERF+’s public image with strong and broad outreach and with social engagement strategies.
- Develop communications strategies that seamlessly integrate development, marketing, outreach and program messaging to increase CERF+’s visibility to new and existing audiences.
- Help CERF+ build the Artist Safety Net by creating networks of volunteers and supporters.
- Develop and implement communications strategies to three underserved constituencies in the craft field: folk and traditional artists, artists of color and artists who do not participate in the national marketplace.
- Oversee development of written communications, marketing materials and electronic marketing across multiple platforms such as the web, social media, print and digital publications, and other public relations and marketing platforms.
- Monitor marketing trends and content relevant to CERF+’s mission and translate information into compelling, actionable and effective strategies.
- Work with staff to integrate communications, branding and programs into fundraising strategies and activities, as appropriate.
- Increase donor satisfaction and retention through reporting on the impact of their support on CERF+’s work.
- Work with program staff to provide content (original and curated) for CERF+ website on a regular basis, ensuring consistency of messages.
- Work with and support the CERF+ staff with their related communications needs.
- Prioritize media opportunities and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding CERF+’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 6 years fundraising or related experience.
- Outstanding interpersonal and writing skills — good listener and strong communicator – clear and compelling writer and story-teller, self-confident, positive attitude, compassionate, engaging and dynamic speaker and strong presentation skills.
- Knowledge, experience and success in fundraising techniques and trends, particularly donor relations, grant writing, planned giving, sponsorship, event planning and marketing.
- Experience planning, writing, editing, and production of outreach related communications such as social media, electronic newsletters, press releases, impact reports, videos, marketing literature, and other print publications
- Self-starting strategic thinker whose hallmark qualities include being persistent, personable, team-oriented, and possessing a desire to succeed.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and exhibit follow-through on tasks and goals.
- Advanced skills using technology and social media to galvanize support and expand outreach. Experience with Salesforce or a similar database.
- Diligent adherence to ethical fundraising practices.
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with donors, corporate sponsors, and other stakeholders.
- Strong collaborator with an ability to work effectively with and foster teamwork amongst CERF+’s Board of Directors and staff.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
- Excellent organizational, planning, project management, and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks on schedule in a busy working environment.
- A sense of humor, tact and diplomacy.
- Passion for the arts and the mission of CERF+.
Physical and Other Requirements
Professional office environment in Montpelier, Vermont
Significant computer work, which may require repetitive motion, prolonged periods of sitting, and sustained visual and mental applications and demand.
Occasional lifting, bending, pulling, collating, and filing, some of which could be heavy (>15 lbs) or require the use of carts.
Ability to travel domestically.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
CERF+ maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.
- Position Type: Development
- Location: Washington County
- Employment Type/ Status: Full Time