350VT is seeking a full-time Development & Communications Manager to foster a thriving climate movement in Vermont, by coordinating fundraising efforts, organizing outreach and events, and managing general communications.
About the Position
The ideal candidate for our small and ambitious staff team will be able to take our development and communications efforts to a new level of awesome. They will base their creative work in story and relationship-building. They will be able to take initiative, remain flexible to changing needs, and handle a diverse and ambitious workload. This position is an excellent opportunity for the candidate to grow and foster skills and leadership in a supportive organization at a pivotal time in the climate justice movement.
350VT organizes, educates, and supports people in Vermont to work together for climate justice – resisting fossil fuels, building momentum for alternatives, and transforming our communities toward justice and resilience. Inspired by our first Strategic Plan, 350Vermont will be growing over the next year and we’re looking for talented, experienced organizers to foster a thriving climate movement in Vermont! Learn more about us at 350vermont.org
While we currently have these needs separated into two job openings, we have the flexibility to explore building opportunities around an extremely talented, motivated person’s strengths, skills and interests that help create the right team that can work collaboratively with a statewide network of organizers and staff. Work opportunities include communications, digital organizing, fundraising, facilitation, and grassroots organizing for our Stop Extreme Energy Campaign.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Development & Communications Manager will be responsible for working with 350VT’s staff, leadership, student organizers, and volunteers. The Development & Communications Manager reports to the Director of 350VT. Responsibilities include:
• Collaborate with the Director on all fundraising efforts – grant management, donor relationships, sponsorships, and fundraising events
• Manage and plan fundraising and campaign events
• Manage a volunteer fundraising working group
• Supervise interns throughout the school year and in the summertime
• Manage weekly email blasts, website platform (WordPress), and all social media platforms
• Maintain relationships with media outlets in conjunction with our field organizers
• Support organizational development and organizational assessment work
• Assist with administrative tasks and office management
• Maintain a working knowledge of climate change, climate justice, and grassroots movements, and of the social, political, legislative, regulatory and economic framework relevant to the campaign
• Understand 350Vermont and 350.org
’s history, campaigns, and theory of social change, and keep current with basic climate science and policy. From time to time, use this knowledge to represent 350Vermont’s perspective in varied public venues.
Our team is an inclusive and collaborative group that is committed to the principles of justice. We welcome new perspectives, innovative ideas and different ways of working. We’re looking for an individual who is dedicated, organized, cooperative, dependable, and nimble. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, a creative thinker, an effective team player, tech-savvy and an expressive, clear writer and speaker.
• 2-5 years of experience in communications, organizing, and/or fundraising, paid or unpaid.
• Experience coordinating or managing volunteers or interns.
• Experience with social media platforms, nonprofit databases, and Microsoft and online office management tools.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills; ability to weave several themes into one narrative.
• Excellent time-management skills, including the ability to balance multiple and sometimes competing priorities.
• Detail oriented and organized.
• Ability to work calmly under pressure as a high-functioning team member.
• Ability to navigate diverse cultures and political contexts with a commitment to equity.
• Ability to work both independently and in close coordination with a team.
• Commitment to empowering others and building grassroots power.
• Commitment to and passion for the 350Vermont mission of building a local movement to reverse the climate crisis.
• Willingness to work some evenings and weekends for events, workshops, and trainings.
• A strong work ethic and a commitment to self-care.
• Interest in pursuing creative ways to build a movement with volunteer-led activism.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and 1-3 writing samples (call scripts, action emails, blogs, event guides, or organizing-related writing preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org
with DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER in the subject line. Please apply by 9:00am, July 6, 2018
for best consideration.