Position Title: Vermont Commodity Program Manager
Supervisor: Executive Director
Employee Status: Full Time, Exempt
Starting Annual Salary: $37,000
Primary Location: Winooski, VT
Salvation Farms’ Vermont Commodity Program operates Vermont’s first surplus crop food hub. The food hub aggregates approximately 5,000 pounds per week of “un-marketable” crops from farms across the state. From the food hub, crops are distributed to charitable and institutional food sites.
The Vermont Commodity Program operates through a workforce development training program. Enrolled trainees clean, quality assess, case-pack, and minimally process surplus crops while gaining job readiness skills and exposure to potential employers. Volunteers also help the Vermont Commodity Program meet its production goals.
This is the first operation of its kind in the nation.
The Vermont Commodity Manager is responsible for maintaining the Vermont Commodity Program operations, related training program, and partnerships. This position ensures Good Manufacturing Practices and Standard Operating Procedures are created and followed by all who enter the food hub. Food safety, product quality, and operational sophistication, safety, and efficiency are upheld by this staff person. The Manager is responsible for administering and supporting training in a safe working and learning environment for individuals with barriers to employment, i.e. ex-incarcerated, out-of-school youth, those in recovery, etc. The Manager fills a vital role in supporting the growth and evolution of this program.
Primary Duties (include but are not limited to)
- Ensure workplace and food safety, quality controls, and compliance with standard operating procedures
- Manage production, product sourcing/marketing to farmers, transportation logistics, product development (raw packing and minimal processing), end-product marketing, product distribution and sales, and traceability
- Oversee pack-room activities, engage in produce cleaning, packing, and processing alongside trainees and volunteers
- Oversee daily activities of trainees with particular focus on operational training, work, and field trips
- Engage in trainee recruitment, enrollment, orientation, operational training, conflict management and developing pathways to employment
- Collaborate with co-workers, partners, and trainee caseworkers/support service agencies
- Maintain product inventory, supplies, crew productivity, and associated tracking systems
- Measure program impact and outcomes; generate periodic reports
- Manage facility and equipment upkeep; maintain service records
- Manage sub-lease and facility shared use arrangements
- Manage volunteers and interns
- Supervise AmeriCorps VISTA member
- Collaborate with staff, AmeriCorps VISTA, and partners to:
- improve operations; i.e. refine production line elements, establish new distribution avenues, etc.
- administer training; aid in refining the workforce development program
- Engage in some elements of program and product marketing material creation, community outreach, partner meetings, program expansion, capacity building, budget building, fundraising, and strategic planning
- Highly organized, efficient, and pragmatic
- Operations and/or food manufacturing experience; writing, refining, implementing SOPs
- Demonstrated success training, managing, and working in teams
- A desire to support workforce development and skill building initiatives for individuals in transition
- Able to work in partnership with staff and communicate effectively with diverse groups of people
- Ability to work independently, a self-starter with effective time management skills
- Ability to coordinate priorities and exercise appropriate judgment and discretion
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent record keeping skills, computer and data entry skills
- A passion for local agriculture, resource management, and social justice
- A valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Available to work some nights and weekends
Benefits & Work Environment
- Paid time off and holidays
- Health insurance available (Employer covers 75% of premium)
- Access to training and professional development opportunities
- This position is based in Salvation Farms’ Winooski Facility – some travel will be required
- Mileage is reimbursed at $.40/mile for all approved work travel
This is a full-time, program staff position in Chittenden County.
- Position Type: Program
- Location: Vermont (statewide); Chittenden County
- Employment Type/ Status: Full Time