The Upper Valley Haven (the Haven), a nonprofit social services organization founded in 1980 and located in White River Junction, Vermont, is seeking an experienced, dynamic Executive Director. The Haven serves people in the Upper Valley struggling with poverty by providing food, shelter, service coordination, education and other support. Its vision is to create a community where people find hope and discover possibility. Please see www.uppervalleyhaven.org.
Community-founded and community-supported, the Upper Valley Haven:
- Welcomes all who enter its doors as equals, respecting their dignity and accepting them without judgment;
- Encourages those it serves to develop their own capacity for independence and self-sufficiency;
- Seeks the support and participation of the community;
- Is thrifty with its resources, generous in its hospitality and accountable to the individuals and organizations that support it.
The Haven is recognized for its high-quality social services. It values innovation and a community-driven, collaborative, outcomes-oriented model. The organization’s leaders participate regularly in local and state forums on the root causes and complex dynamics of poverty and maintain dozens of partnerships throughout the community to enhance and extend its services.
The Haven opened its doors in 1980 as a temporary shelter for homeless families and adults. By 2009, the Haven had established two residential shelters, a larger food shelf and kitchen space, private offices for social work and service coordination, and community and educational spaces. Over the past ten years, the Haven has experienced tremendous growth in the volume of services it delivers and the complexity of challenges it addresses.
Today, the Haven employs 28 full-time and 17 part-time staff and works with 1,350 volunteers annually. Its annual budget has grown to $3.4 million plus $2.3 million in donated food, a three-fold increase in less than ten years. In 2017, the Haven supported 3,885 households with food, 1,353 households with service coordination, 309 people with shelter, and 137 children with after school and summer programs.
The Haven’s social service knowledge and expertise, operational effectiveness, and community reputation and partnerships provide a solid foundation for its future. Strategic opportunities include:
- Meeting the growing needs for shelter and food in the Upper Valley;
- Deepening services for guests on their path toward independence and self-sufficiency;
- Responding to the increasing complexity of guests’ needs and challenges;
- Improving access to services among an increasingly diverse population.
With a solid foundation and recently created strategic plan, the Haven is entering its next chapter of growth and development. The new Executive Director will build on the Haven’s knowledge and position in the community, strengthen core services, and strategically lead the organization to sustain it for the decades to come.
- Interprets community needs and identifies opportunities for furthering and enhancing the Haven’s mission;
- With the Board, sets strategy. Translates strategy into programming;
- Fosters and deepens healthy and cooperative relationships in the community;
- Serves as a spokesperson for the Haven and the needs of its guests;
- Embodies the Haven’s compassionate approach to addressing poverty in the Upper Valley.
- Sets the standard for compassionate and non-judgmental delivery of services and ensures compliance throughout the extended Haven family;
- Ensures that programs achieve the highest level of excellence in helping the lives of those in need;
- Builds and nurtures a team dedicated to the service mission of the Haven.
- Enables the Board of Directors and its committees in their governance role;
- Ensures the Haven’s vision, mission, and Board policies are implemented;
- Leads staff in designing and carrying out fund raising strategies, donor stewardship, public relations, and administrative functions;
- Makes or supervises employment decisions consistent with policies. Coaches and provides professional development opportunities and oversees evaluation of staff;
- Leads financial planning and prepares operating budget in consultation with the Finance Committee. Maintains effective financial controls and reporting to the Board.
- Passionate, demonstrated commitment to the Haven’s mission;
- Ability to interact comfortably with people from a wide range of cultural, social, and economic backgrounds and to manage diverse constituents;
- Strategic leadership experience;
- Experience in fund raising, Board relations, and financial management;
- Strong community engagement and public speaking skills;
- Ability and desire to invest in staff development;
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as social work, public policy, and/or business administration.
The Upper Valley has much to offer individuals and families. Set along the Connecticut River, between the Green Mountains of Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire, it’s wonderfully scenic with a variety of outdoor activities available. The area hosts a renowned academic medical center and some of the most competitive school systems in New England, diverse cultural and professional opportunities, and an Ivy League university. It’s family-friendly and community-oriented. The Haven community will help the new Executive Director and her/his family find community and fall in love with the Upper Valley.
To apply in confidence, please send resume and cover letter to Susan Egmont, Egmont Associates, at email@example.com.
- Position Type: Executive
- Location: Windsor County
- Employment Type/ Status: Full Time