VPIRG is looking for a mission-driven individual with strong project management, relationship-building, writing skills and attention-to detail to serve as our Membership Coordinator. The right candidate understands the needs and activities of member-based advocacy organizations and enjoys strategizing how to garner support for our work. The Membership Coordinator acts as the first point of contact for VPIRG membership, ensures the accuracy of VPIRG’s membership database and implements activities aimed at telling the story of our work in a compelling way to members, donors, and the public. Strong communications skills, attention to detail, and a keen eye for data and systems analysis will be critical to success in this role.
The Membership Coordinator will work under the guidance of the Development Manager and in partnership with the entire staff and board to conduct: donor and foundation prospecting, cultivation and research; monthly sustainer program maintenance; membership recordkeeping and member communications and cultivation activities. Experience with grassroots activism, marketing, fundraising, databases and/or communications preferred. This is the perfect position for someone with strong communication and analysis skills looking to learn while doing as they work alongside the rest of the VPIRG team to protect the public interest. This position offers an opportunity for professional development and growth as you cultivate our base of over 40,000 members and supporters and increase the organization’s capacity to defend the public interest. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Montpelier.
About VPIRG: VPIRG’s mission is to promote the health and well-being of Vermont’s environment, people and locally-based economy by informing and mobilizing citizens across the state. For 45 years, we have represented the public’s voice, countering special interest influence on issues of public health, the environment, consumer protection and democracy. VPIRG’s work has helped keep Vermont on the cutting edge of critical state and national issues ranging from fighting climate change and building a clean energy future, to protecting kids from toxic chemicals and getting big money out of politics. We identify innovative solutions and build the political support necessary to put practical ideas into action. The organization has 15 full-time staff and a summer field staff of 80+ and an annual budget of over $2 million. You can find more information about VPIRG and our campaigns on our website at: www.vpirg.org.
Job Summary: The Membership Coordinator will contribute to VPIRG’s work by coordinating and implementing various components of VPIRG’s membership development and administrative activities.
- Cultivation and engagement: Serve as first point of contact for all incoming member inquiries – respond via email, phone, and/or mail or redirect as appropriate. Assist in designing and carrying out new member prospecting and outreach activities as well as existing member cultivation strategies; develop and implement innovative ways to engage, educate and excite our base of supporters and groom lifelong members that bridge generational, geographic, socioeconomic and political divides.
- Membership record maintenance: In order to successfully engage our members, we need to know our members – this means knowing where to send mail, who to call and understand what interests and motivates our members. The membership coordinator is critical to ensuring our membership records are accurate and useful.
- Writing and communications: Draft/edit member communications, including prompt thanking of donors, and contribute to developing other member communications and informational materials including newsletter, campaign updates, grant reports, website and brochures.
- Member/donor solicitation: Assist coordination of, and participate in various development and fundraising projects including: direct mail, major donor, phone campaigns, monthly giving, door canvassing, online fundraising and planned giving.
- Strategic analysis: Analyze metrics of fundraising efforts; assess, project and track membership rates of renewal and giving habits; assist with multi-stream fundraising efforts and membership growth strategies.
- Research: Conduct donor prospecting and foundation research; follow best practices and trends in fundraising and development and help apply these strategies to our work.
Qualifications: Experience with grassroots organizing, issue-oriented campaigning, fundraising and/or marketing and communications desired. Must be extremely personable, have a persuasive way with words (both verbal and written), and have the ability to tell an inspiring story. The ideal candidate is flexible, detail-oriented, and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Experience with CRM/donor databases and advanced level Microsoft Excel skills required. Commitment to the issues on which VPIRG works and a mission-driven approach are essential in this demanding and highly-professional work environment.
Compensation: Annual salary between $30,000 – $40,000 based on experience. VPIRG offers an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health insurance, long-term disability insurance, employer-matching IRA contributions or student loan repayment of up to 3% of salary, and four weeks of annual leave.
Application Process: Submit your cover letter, resume and writing sample online only at: www.vpirg.org/apply. VPIRG is an equal opportunity employer.
Application deadline: February 15, 2018.
- Position Type: Development
- Location: Washington County
- Employment Type/ Status: Full Time