Summary of Position:
The Intervale Center seeks a dynamic, responsive, mission-driven land and facilities professional
to join our team in Burlington, Vermont. For 30 years, the Intervale Center has led a community
food revolution that sustains farms, land and people. We have pioneered farm and food innovations
like Community Supported Agriculture, commercial composting, riparian restoration, farm business
incubation, and gleaning and food hub development.
The Intervale Center (IC) owns and leases over 340 acres of land and dozens of historic and modern
structures and supports multiple land uses and land-based partnerships in support of our mission.
The Land Manager provides leadership, support and continuous communication across all land users.
S/He is responsible for the development, maintenance and utilization of the IC land, structures
and equipment and for leading planning and project development related to enhancing the overall
value and sustainability of the Intervale and other IC land assets. This positon is an exciting mix
of office-based planning and development and on the ground site work with farmers, equipment and
We are seeking a highly qualified professional to steward and enhance the Intervale Center Campus.
An ideal candidate will have:
• Demonstrated experience in project management, including planning, budgeting and managing
• Experience in farming, landscaping, forestry or resource management.
• Experience with construction and land use permitting processes.
• 5 years of experience with carpentry, landscaping, equipment and/or electrical systems.
• Excellent communication, problem solving skills and enthusiasm to support the many users of
the IC campus.
• Ability to manage many projects and comfort moving from office environments to field and shop
• Ability to plan ahead and anticipate needs for a very dynamic community.
• Experience operating power tools, farming equipment and chain saw.
• Ability to work alone and manage part time staff and volunteers.
• Experience with mapping or GIS software a plus.
• Ability to comfortably lift 50lbs and willingness to work in all weather conditions.
• Valid Vermont driver’s license.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position provides an important connection between diverse Intervale Center campus
users. Specific roles and responsibilities will include:
• Providing leadership on all aspects of land and campus development, implementation
• Developing and managing the IC’s Land Stewardship operating and capital budgets and updating
land use plans or easement plans as necessary.
• Developing, managing and implementing the annual Land Stewardship workplan and overseeing Land
Stewardship staff, contractors and volunteers as appropriate.
• Serving as the IC’s point person and coordinator for land/structural development, and all
program and tenant projects and concerns.
• Managing all partnerships (including all leases and other land use agreements) with farmers,
municipal partners and others to further advance IC mission.
• Providing a high level of service to tenants, ensuring tenant compliance and evaluating revenue
streams and operating costs as needed.
• Ensuring permitting, legal and regulatory requirements are met and/or complied with.
• Ensuring IC campus is free of trash and other debris and working with the City to ensure road
and City lots are clean.
• Working with management and program staff to support IC events, rentals, gardens, recreation
• Monitoring and updating IC land, building and equipment safety systems.
• Serving as IC Manager for Intervale Farmer Equipment Company.
• Attending Intervale Center staff meetings, manager meetings and other activities as needed.
• Serving as ambassador for the entire organization, promoting philanthropy, and engaging in
relationship building in support of Development.
• Performing other tasks as needed.
Intervale Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and
three references to email@example.com by February 10. Interviews are expected to be held between
February 15 and March 1. This position has the opportunity to be 32-40 hours per week with
compensation between $20.00-$25.00 per hour.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for health, dental, 401(k),
and limited wellness benefits. This position will be based in Burlington, Vermont
and will remain open until filled.
- Position Type: Program
- Location: Chittenden County
- Employment Type/ Status: Full Time