Educate to Liberate!
About Outright Vermont
Our mission is to build safe, healthy, and supportive environments for queer, trans, and questioning youth up to age 22. Outright Vermont has worked statewide since 1989, to provide advocacy, education, and leadership development alongside queer and trans youth, and the adults in their lives. Our organizational model is built on:
- Ensuring Vermont is a state where all queer and trans youth have access to resources they need to live brave, healthy, and authentic lives.
- Commitment to anti-oppression the necessity for intersectional analysis across social identities beyond gender and sexuality.
- Fostering healthy youth-adult partnerships to create mutual opportunities for growth, learning, and skill development.
- Building queer, trans, and allied community who invest in our mission through a variety of resources including, not limited to, donations of skills, time, goods, and money.
Outright Vermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We recognize the critical nature of being an organization comprised of diverse identities. Queer and Trans People of Color, and Trans Feminine folks are strongly encouraged to apply.
Director of Education Position Summary
The Director of Education is responsible for the overall education initiatives of Outright Vermont. The ideal candidate will have a passion for all tasks related to social justice informed training and facilitation.. We are seeking someone engaging, creative, and accessible to a range of predominantly school-based communities throughout the state.. The candidate will have experience developing, sustaining, and delivering curricula that shines a light on queer and trans youth lives. This position is based in Burlington, Vermont. The Director of Education will report to the Executive Director, and work closely with our Youth Education Coordinator and full-time staff.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Trainings and Curricula Development
- Coordinating and implementing professional development, trainings and consultations with staff and administrators in school districts statewide.
- Developing and systematizing curricula for all aspects of our school and community-based education.
- Collaborating with our Youth Education Coordinator to provide and deliver technical assistance to our Vermont Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) Network. Tasks include but not limited to Advisor support at our statewide annual youth events, the Fall Conference, and Queer & Allied Youth Summit.
- Supporting all additional educational aspects of Outright program areas; including Camp Outright, Friday night group facilitators training, public training, and professional development.
Outreach and Systems Expansion
- Coordinating with Outright staff to maintain our commitment to center youth voice and work in partnership with youth.
- Cultivating strategic statewide partnerships to enhance all aspects of our education reach, including a primary partnership with the Agency of Education.
- Liaison to community partners, including but not limited to serving as a member on the Harassment, Hazing, and Bullying Prevention Advisory Council.
- Maintaining up-to-date reporting and data on all education and outreach initiatives.
- Overseeing all financial aspects of our education work, including creating, reporting, and managing all aspects of budgets and invoicing.
- Creating professional level written and verbal communications, internally and externally, in person and on the website and social media platforms.
- Assisting with writing, reporting, and maintaining compliance with relevant funding sources.
- Assists with other organizational duties, as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications & Competencies
- Minimum of 2-4 years relevant professional experience in the field (or a combination of education and work experience).
- Demonstrable commitment to Outright Vermont’s mission, vision, and values, with specific knowledge about the experiences of queer and trans youth, and a commitment to social justice.
- Proven strength in public speaking, writing, and communication skills.
- Ability to present to diverse audiences.
- Valid driver’s license, and willingness to travel extensively statewide.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a fierce team. Bonus points for banter.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range: $34,000 – $38,000, commensurate with experience. Outright offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, life insurance, and a flexible work environment.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter as soon as possible, but no later than 5pm on Friday, September 22nd to email@example.com. Please include the job title and your full name in the subject of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Applicants who advance through the interview process will be asked for three references.
- We don’t inquire about your salary history at any point in the application process.
- All applicants will receive a confirmation email. No calls please.
SO worth repeating: We recognize the critical nature of being an organization comprised of diverse identities. Queer and Trans People of Color, and Trans Feminine folks are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Position Type: Program
- Location: Vermont (statewide); Chittenden County
- Employment Type/ Status: Full Time