This position is part of the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board AmeriCorps (VHCB AmeriCorps). The VHCB AmeriCorps program supports the innovative dual-goal approach to creating stable affordable housing opportunities for Vermont residents while preserving the natural and working landscape. VHCB is a national service program that places AmeriCorps members with non-profit housing or land and energy conservation organizations around the state.
The Champlain Housing Trust (CHT) is a community land trust that supports strong, vital communities in northwest Vermont through the development and stewardship of permanently affordable homes and associated community assets.
CHT manages and develops permanently affordable rental housing and affordable homeownership programs in Chittenden, Franklin and Grand Isle counties. CHT’s HomeOwnership Center (HOC) is a member of the national NeighborWorks® America network and is comprised of 3 Programs:
- Shared Equity Program (SEP) helps buyers with down payment assistance to create permanently affordable homeownership options
- Home Education provides group and individual counseling in financial literacy, homebuyer education and homeowner services
- Champlain Housing Loan Fund is a community-based loan program for low income homeowners funded mostly with Community Development Block Grants.
Essential Duties of Position:
- Learn the overall workings of CHT and the HomeOwnership Center to develop an understanding of the various homeownership options; with a special emphasis to learn the intricacies and value of homebuyer education. Provide basic information to people wanting information about CHT.
- Perform outreach in support of the HomeOwnership Center. Outreach may encompass contacting community agencies and organizations, organization and completion of special events, volunteer recruitment, and promoting collaborative efforts among organizations/programs
- Organize the logistics for educational groups including coordinate locations in the tri-county region, arrange guest speakers, prepare materials, update the Homebuyer Education workbook, create/updates flyers, inform partners, community members and customers of events and education opportunities, Assist with facilitation of regular monthly workshops and special groups. Play key role by answering customer questions, help with registrations, schedule participants, send confirmation information, event logistics, site setup, and presenting.
- Administer workshops and events as well as counseling and mentoring such as scheduling appointments, pulling credit reports, preparing files and informational materials, data entry and information management.
- Help facilitate the Ready, Set, Rent! (RSR) program including administrative tasks, presenting Orientations, engaging in one-on-one mentoring, data collection and reporting.
Work occurs both in an office environment as well as in the community, in Chittenden, Franklin, and Grand Isle counties. Having your own vehicle and working on some nights and weekends are required.
Position begins September 11th, 2017 and ends August 10th, 2018.
This position is Full Time: Requires 1,700 hours and serves approximately 40 hours per week for 11 months. Member will receive a living allowance of $17,850 (pre-tax), and an education award of $5,815 (pre-tax) upon successful completion of service. Other benefits include health insurance, federal school loan forbearance, and various training opportunities.
- Position Type: Unknown / Not Applicable
- Location: Chittenden County
- Employment Type/ Status: Unknown / Not Applicable